Monday, September 3, 2012

Labor Day weekend 2012

Well, I'm sure a lot has happened since we got back from vacation but I can't really remember it all so I'll just post about this weekend and try to keep up better in the future (which we all know won't happen).

Ross and I have been working a lot lately so we've both been looking forward to this long weekend just to relax.  We didn't have anything big planned and we can just do whatever we want and chill out.

Friday night, Ross went to the HCHS football game in Christian Co with some friends.  It was a really exciting game and Henderson Co won while the rain held off so it seemed like he had a good time.  I spent some time with a friend at dinner and just hanging out at her house.

Saturday we slept in a little and then Ross had his second fantasy football draft for this season.  I think this is probably his favorite activity of the whole year.  I went to Evansville and did a little shopping for myself at Banana Republic spending way too much money on work clothes (but they are really cute!) and at Pier 1 and Target for some great things for the house.  Take a look.

I bought this vinyl wall art from Target.  It reads "Life is simple. Eat. Sleep. Play. Repeat."

I bought the new curtains at Target.  Its a little hard to see because the sun was so bright, but they are red, brown, and cream paisley design.  I love them.  They really bring an extra pop of color to the room and blend the couch and rug together for the big room.  We had really thick dark brown curtains before and they were great for keeping out the sun, but they made the room seem so dark and dreary I thought.  The new ones are much lighter.  


This ledge has been a thorn in my side since we bought our house 2 1/2 years ago.  It was a really cool space but I could never quite figure out what to put up there for decoration (except at Christmas time when it looks like the North Pole threw up in my house), and it was always empty and I was embarrassed for people to see it.  Mom had given me a couple of old wooden crates that I put up there but they were empty and really did nothing for the space on their own.  So, Saturday I went to Pier 1 to see what I could find.  Luckily, they were having a sale. :) I got the blue, tan, and red vase and the red lantern with the candle in it (sold separately) at Pier 1.  My living room has red and tan/brown in it and my kitchen (on the other side of the ledge) has blue in it, so the vase really does a good job of transitioning between the rooms.  (I'm sure you can tell from my room description/analysis, that I have been watching entirely too much HGTV.)  The old basket with dried hydrangeas and the greenery came from my mom's house and I already had the antique saltine cracker tin and 2 blue ball mason jars at the house (items Ross found at a yard sale a couple of years ago), so I think my problematic ledge has been remedied nicely.  

Sunday, we got up and went to church and then went to Mama Joyce's for lunch with Ross's family.  His great-aunt June came and it was nice to visit with her a little bit.  We don't see much of Ross's extended family throughout the year.  After lunch, we rushed home and I made buffalo chicken dip for Ross and his friends to watch the UK/UofL football game.  UK lost terribly and it was an awful game but at least we got to take a nap in the second half.  lol. Sunday night we met my Aunt Lorraine, Uncle Steve, and cousin, Emily, at Cracker Barrel for dinner.  I see Emily a lot because she works with me, but I haven't seen my aunt and uncle for a while.  It was nice to catch up and eat some good food.  

Monday, we slept in a little and then went to Walmart to buy stuff for lunch.  My parents and one of our friends came over for lunch.  I made a new recipe that I got off pinterest (which usually makes me a little nervous because my end result doesn't always look like their end result, but it turned out very nicely).  It was chicken breasts, green beans, and new potatoes covered in italian dressing mix and melted butter and baked for an hour and I made macaroni and cheese and rolls to go with it.  It was delicious and everything was done cooking right at the perfect time.  I always feel so accomplished when that happens.  I haven't quite got my dinner timing done even after doing it for so many years.  I also made cheesecake brownies for dessert and they have already disappeared.  This afternoon, we had another friend come over to hang out and they boys have been making bbq baked potatoes (their own versions of Spuds n Stuff) and animal cracker cookie truffles while I've been napping.  

It seems like we've had a busy long weekend but it has felt pretty calm and relaxing.  Neither of us are looking forward to going back to work tomorrow but we have a few fun trips planned this fall that we're excited about so maybe that will get us through.  

No comments:

Post a Comment